- Fruits: berries (strawberries)
- Crop Production: cover crops, irrigation, row covers (for season extension)
- Pest Management: mulches - general
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Soil Management: green manures
Eric Rice and Bill Hastings, organic growers in different climates in Maryland, will investigate the feasibility of growing annual strawberries and fall vegetables using sustainable practices. The project builds on a 1994 annual strawberry production demonstration at the University of Maryland's Wye Research and Education Center and work being done by ARS.