- Agronomic: rye
- Additional Plants: ornamentals
- Crop Production: organic fertilizers
- Education and Training: demonstration, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Pest Management: row covers (for pests)
- Soil Management: composting, organic matter, soil analysis, soil quality/health
Annual and perennial plants are vigorous when their roots grow deep into the soil, still reaching water, nutrients and air. They are disease and drought tolerant. In a hard compact soil structure, root systems are stressed for these essential amenities resulting in weakened and disease susceptible plants. A soil structure is a result of its components, ratio of sand to silt to clay, % organic matter, water holding capacity, aerobic properties and nutrient levels. With the understanding of the structure of the soil we have to work with and proper management of it, one can sustain a profitable crop. I want to increase the production of sustainable cut flowers by improving the soil structure in our field, through the use of amendments, cover crops and weed barrier.