- Animal Products: dairy
- Animal Production: manure management, pasture fertility
- Crop Production: municipal wastes, organic fertilizers
- Education and Training: technical assistance, demonstration, farmer to farmer, participatory research
- Farm Business Management: agricultural finance
- Soil Management: composting
My neighbor, a dairy farmer with 300+ animals and I, a dairy farmer with 1000+ animals would like help in developing a pilot project to evaluate the feasibility of composting our slurry manure with yard waste (ground up tree trimmings, leaves, etc.). We hope to reduce manure transportation difficulties to our distant fields of up to five miles away and odor problems. Our spreading of raw manure results in complaints from the neighbors, winter runoff and lots of nutrients. We wish to protect the water quality of the streams and aquifers on our farmed land while maintaining a friendly relationship with our neighbors. Composting could be our most practical management option.