Project Type: Farmer
Funds awarded in 1999: $6,000.00
Projected End Date: 12/31/1999
Matching Non-Federal Funds: $4,150.00
State: West Virginia
- Additional Plants: ginseng, trees
- Crop Production: agroforestry
- Education and Training: technical assistance, demonstration
- Natural Resources/Environment: biodiversity, habitat enhancement
- Sustainable Communities: public participation
Income for the farm can be greatly increased by growing ginseng. It is an excellent agroforestry crop. I want to reach the young farm children since it is a long term crop, by demonstration, farm tours, slide shows and visits to our farm. When completed, to those interested, want to give 1 lb bag of seed. To get them started, along with an instruction book that is simplified for easy use and my phone number for future consultation. We want to use FFA club and 4H clubs to reach 100 students.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture or SARE.