- Animals: fish
- Crop Production: organic fertilizers
- Education and Training: extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, budgets/cost and returns, marketing management, market study, value added
- Pest Management: biological control
- Production Systems: holistic management, integrated crop and livestock systems
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, analysis of personal/family life, sustainability measures
Demonstration of recirculating system for the production of tilapia, leafy salad greens, kang kong and live bearing aquarium fish. The system is based on six 1,600 gallon tanks for tilapia in a green water culture system, with phytoplankton and "Bio-floc" for biological filtration. Water from these tanks is circulated through two filtration troughs in which kang kong and leafy salad greens are grown. These plants filter sediments, consume the nutrients from the fish waste, and provide an additional income stream for the system. Small aquarium fish are grown in the troughs to control mosquitoes, and sold to pet stores.
Project objectives from proposal:
Design, Build and Operate the Aquaculture System, Design, Build and Operate Hydroponic Filter System. Conduct a Field Day Beyond Project Term, Document Fish and Plant Yields.