- Agronomic: sugarcane
- Fruits: melons, avocados, bananas, berries (brambles), cherries, figs, citrus, pineapples
- Vegetables: sweet potatoes, beans, cabbages, cucurbits, eggplant, garlic, greens (leafy), onions, peas (culinary), peppers, sweet corn, tomatoes
- Additional Plants: herbs
- Animals: fish
- Crop Production: agroforestry
- Education and Training: decision support system, demonstration, farmer to farmer, focus group, mentoring, networking
- Farm Business Management: cooperatives, marketing management, market study, value added
- Sustainable Communities: partnerships, urban agriculture, social networks, sustainability measures
Guam farmers have identified marketing as the number one concern for sustainability of their farming practices.
In an attempt to increase marketing of local produce, this Professional + Producer Grant will develop a “What’s Fresh Now” campaign to highlight in-season fruits and vegetables to tourists using monthly market baskets. In addition to this, a series of programs, such as cook-offs and farmer chef days, will be held.
This project will facilitate a peer working relationship with Hawaii farmers and chefs who have hosted similar successful events. Quarterly Farmer Chef Activities will connect Guam farmers and chefs with each other to promote the quality and potential of their produce.