- Agronomic: corn, oats, potatoes, rye, spelt, soybeans
- Fruits: melons, apples, berries (other), grapes, plums, berries (strawberries)
- Nuts: walnuts
- Vegetables: sweet potatoes, asparagus, beans, beets, broccoli, cabbages, carrots, cucurbits, eggplant, garlic, greens (leafy), onions, peas (culinary), peppers, sweet corn, tomatoes, turnips
- Additional Plants: herbs, native plants, ornamentals
- Animals: bees, bovine, poultry, goats, rabbits, swine, sheep, fish
- Animal Products: dairy
- Miscellaneous: mushrooms
- Education and Training: farmer to farmer, mentoring, participatory research, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, budgets/cost and returns, cooperatives, marketing management, feasibility study, agricultural finance, market study, risk management, value added
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, partnerships, urban agriculture, urban/rural integration, employment opportunities
The three year project was designed to guide interested farmers/farmers groups, recruited at farmers markets and elsewhere, through product development, testing , equipment and supplies training, production, business formation, marketing and other issues ancillary to running a small value added business.
The project was extended for a fourth year, which was used to assist agencies in clarifying and streamlining their service offerings and transitioning referrals from the project to state agencies.
No Information Included for This Section of Report
Project objectives:div style="margin-left:1em;">
1) 10 farmers/groups of farmers will understand all aspects of developing a value-added enterprise.
2) 30 farmers/groups of farmers will participate in portions of trainings and business classes offered.
3) All vendors in at least 5 farmers markets will have and understanding of value added enterprise development and regulations governing sales at farmers markets.
4) A core group of professionals will have “practiced” a holistic approach to assisting farmers in developing a successful value added enterprise based on sustainable, local food production.