- Agronomic: wheat
- Vegetables: beets, broccoli, garlic, onions, peppers, tomatoes
- Animals: bovine, poultry, swine
- Animal Products: dairy
- Miscellaneous: mushrooms
- Education and Training: demonstration, display, extension, farmer to farmer
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, budgets/cost and returns, marketing management, feasibility study, market study, value added
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, partnerships, social networks
The Community Market Project is designed to increase the viability of small farmers by providing them the opportunity to sell product to create a value-added Vermont Farmers’ Flatbread, to develop their own value-added product, and to realize both a direct and secondary market benefit. Using food as a medium for education, the project will facilitate direct farmer-consumer relationships by introducing consumers to the farmers and local products available in their community. The essential elements of the project are: to test market a value-added product at different consumer venues; to provide a high profile market outlet for organic and sustainably produced Vermont products; to coordinate market development assistance for farmers; and community outreach and education.
Performance targets from proposal:
Of the 400 organic and sustainable farmers and processors in Vermont interested in direct marketing, 50 farmers will increase their gross sales by 20% through the development of a value added product, or new direct marketing relationship.