Hydroseeded mulch as an alternative to plastic mulch films
This project was initially submitted and lead by Dr. Barbara Bellows withthe University of Georgia Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department. Since the beginning of the project, Dr. Bellows has left the University and the project has been turned over to Dr. Gary L. Hawkins of the Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department. Some initial work has been conducted by the farmer participate, Mr. Bob Rawlings, on his own, but nothing associated with the grant. An initial meeting with the local Extension agent and Mr. Rawlings has started the discussions on treatments, materials to use and timing of project milestones.
The objectives of the research project are:
1. Test the characteristics of different organic materials that maybe used in providing a mulch for replacing plastic mulch in fruit and vegetable production systems
2. Test various organic materials based on their characteristics from objective number 1
3. Test materials from objective number 1 to find the one that best controls weeds
4. Test materials from objective number 1 to find the one that best retains moisture
5. Test materials from objective number 1 to find the one that best increases soil temperature
Currently no accomplishments have been realized in that the project has changed coordinators and the work has not begun other than an initial discussion meeting.
Impacts and Contributions/Outcomes
There has been no Impacts or Outcomes for this project to date.
PO Box 186
Rebecca, GA 31783
Office Phone: 2296437609