- Fruits: berries (blueberries), persimmon, Muscadine
- Vegetables: greens (leafy), greens (lettuces), peas (culinary)
- Animals: bovine, goats, sheep, swine
- Animal Production: meat processing
- Education and Training: extension, farmer to farmer, mentoring, technical assistance, workshop
- Farm Business Management: financial management, risk management
The objective of the 2019-2020 Program is to continue the existing strategic planning process for statewide sustainable agriculture development; and to provide professional development opportunities for County Extension Agents and other Agriculture Professionals (i.e. Farmers Train-the-Trainer, USDA Employees (i.e. NRCS, FSA) engaged in Train-the-Trainer activities). Objective of the plan of work in utilizing the SARE Logic Model will include providing training activities for agriculture professionals in the following areas:
1. Conservation tillage (gaining experience and knowledge on equipment efficiency and use);
2. Sustaining small farms through recordkeeping and financial planning; and
3. Receiving training on animal grazing programs, cover crops, sustainable and organic food production, and workable local food systems through SARE-Southern Sustainable Agricultural Workers Conference.
In satisfying the objective, thirty (30) county extension agents and farmer trainers will receive support for travel and training for the 2020 SARE-Southern Sustainable Agriculture Workers Group, thus enhancing the network of trainers who have been brought into SARE programs and the importance of production agriculture. The proposed trainings/workshops and experiential learning activities will expose county extension agents and farmer trainers to experiences designed to enhance their knowledge base and secure strong subject matter references. The Simplified Recordkeeping Train-the-Trainer Class Series #1 and Series #2 will provide the foundation for forty (40) individuals including county agents and farmers to build a strong knowledge base of resource, production and financial recordkeeping. This training provides the foundation for farmers to develop crop budget analysis, balance sheet, production plan and financial plan. To further enhance the training received via SARE-SSAWG and the Simplified Recordkeeping Train-the-Trainer Class thirty (30) farmer trainers will be taken to the field and afforded in-field equipment utilization which consist of tractor(s), a combine, implement identification, setup, and care. This training will include the use of GPS guidance system on tractors and a John Deere combine.
Project objectives from proposal:
Training efforts are guided by the Logic Model (updated in 2015) of the Georgia Model State Program. The Model reflect the current needs of Georgia as directed by the SARE Advisory Committee. Objective of the updated SARE Logic Model include training in organic food production, conservation tillage systems, grazing-based animal production systems, composting, direct marketing and local food systems. Trainings are objective focused. Outcomes will result in the enhancement of knowledge and competency in sustainable agriculture while increasing contact within the sustainable agriculture community. Most importantly, participants will receive up-to-date training to sustain their farm operations while training other producers.