- Animal Production: animal protection and health
- Crop Production: cover crops, organic fertilizers
- Education and Training: extension, networking
- Farm Business Management: financial management, market study, marketing management, new enterprise development, value added
- Production Systems: organic agriculture, organic certification, transitioning to organic
- Soil Management: organic matter
- Sustainable Communities: community development, community services, local and regional food systems, partnerships, quality of life, social capital, social networks, urban agriculture
In discussions with our Advisory Committee, and with the broader professional agriculture and producer communities, there is strong consensus that professional agriculture outreach and technical assistance agencies are crucial to the growth of sustainable agriculture in Kentucky. Yet some of these groups lack the funding to seek ongoing professional development for their employees. In our proposed programming this year, we will respond to direct needs and requests from these groups by providing funding to seek Sustainable Agriculture professional development. Each of the recipients we provide funding to have hundreds of producer contacts through their jobs. We will evaluate the impact by asking funding recipients to share how what they learned benefitted producers. Proposed trainings are specifically related to the fields of Organic Agriculture, Urban Agriculture, and in the general field of Sustainable Agriculture.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Provide specific professional development activities for non-university ag outreach providers.
- Evaluate more clearly how these activities translate into grower outreach.
- Build a broad base of interest and skills in agricultural sustainability among extension agents and other professionals in the state.
- Increasing support of professional development for NGO service providers.