- Animal Production: feed/forage
- Crop Production: cover crops, high tunnels or hoop houses
- Education and Training: extension, networking, workshop
- Farm Business Management: farm-to-institution, farm-to-restaurant, marketing management
- Pest Management: integrated pest management
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
The Louisiana State University AgCenter (LSUAC) in collaboration with the Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center (SUAREC) will implement and support programs that enhance the capabilities of Louisiana’s agricultural professionals in the area of sustainable agriculture. Themes for 2016 – 2017 include: pastured poultry, fruit crops, small ruminants, fall garden and the Louisiana Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (LA SAWG) annual meeting, as well as regional sustainable agriculture related conferences and workshops. LSU AgCenter and SUAREC personnel will be strongly encouraged to attend the training sessions. Information delivery systems to be utilized include workshops and long-distance education training sessions, field trips, resource manuals and informational bulletins. The Louisiana Sustainable Agriculture Advisory Board will meet twice annually for programmatic planning and evaluation. The Program Assistant (half-time), funded by this project, will be responsible for maintaining the state SARE website (http://www.southernsare.org/SARE-in-Your-State/Louisiana) and Louisiana SARE Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/LouisianaSARE/). The other duties for this position include assisting in coordination of the state workshops and field days, the SSAWG scholarships and arrangements, the sustainable agriculture materials generated by the project, promotion of SARE resources and grant opportunities, and development of on-line and hard copy sustainable agriculture resources. Louisiana SARE maintains its presence is statewide sustainable agriculture through the SSARE event calendar, the Facebook page and events, and through connections with other prominent sustainable agriculture websites.
Project objectives:div style="margin-left:1em;">
The Louisiana SARE main objective is to train county agents, mentor farmers, and agriculture professionals who will share their sustainable agriculture knowledge and expertise directly with farmers, land-owners, and the public. The overall objectives of the Louisiana Model State Plan (MSP) are:
· Maintain the state SARE website with sustainable agriculture materials and resources, and links to related state organizations.
· Conduct workshops on sustainable agriculture for extension and agriculture professionals.
· Conduct bi-annual state advisory board meetings with the purpose of revising and modifying the strategic plan.
· Identify annual training objectives with the input from the Louisiana Sustainable Agriculture Advisory Committee.
· Encourage extension and agricultural professionals to continue to attend sustainable agriculture meetings such as the Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group annual meeting.
· Continue participation in workshops, meetings and field days that highlight sustainable agriculture practices.
· Promote the SARE program results, resources and grant opportunities in Louisiana.