- Fruits: bananas, general tree fruits
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research, participatory research, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, marketing management
- Pest Management: chemical control, cultural control, integrated pest management, physical control, sanitation
- Production Systems: holistic management
- Soil Management: organic matter, soil analysis
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, employment opportunities
Research and demonstration farms were established at the R & D Station and in farmer cooperator’s farms in Ngaremlengui, in Airai and in Melekeok State in Palau using tissue-cultured Lacatan banana to showcase appropriate banana production technologies for successful banana production. The fertilization experiment showed that in all the demonstration areas “Lacatan” banana fertilized with manure and fertilizer every 2 months were significantly taller and gave the highest yield than those fertilized at planting time only or those given manure every 2 months. A Training on Banana Production was conducted and a Manual on Banana Production was published to ensure that information generated from this project was disseminated to farmers in Palau.
Project objectives:div style="margin-left:1em;">
The project aimed to :
1. Establish research and demonstration areas in producers’ farms on traditional and appropriate technologies for small-scale banana production.
2. Set up an experiment in producers’ farms to determine nutrient requirements for successful banana production in Palau.
3. Visit of Principal Investigator and Project Cooperator to a commercial banana plantation in Davao City, Philippines, to learn latest trends and technologies in banana production.
4. Assist and guide the farmer in appropriate cultural management practices, post-harvest technology and marketing strategy to ensure successful banana production.
5. Produce a handbook on small-scale banana production
6. Train farmers and extension agents on best management practices for successful banana production.