- Fruits: bananas, general tree fruits
- Crop Production: conservation tillage
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research, participatory research, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, marketing management
- Pest Management: chemical control, cultural control, integrated pest management, physical control, sanitation
- Production Systems: holistic management
- Soil Management: organic matter, soil analysis
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, employment opportunities
In Micronesia, banana is grown for family consumption only. Thus, there is a need for ample supply of fruits to cater to tourists. Demonstration farms will be set up with producers using tissue cultured planting materials to determine nutrient requirements and showcase appropriate cultural management practices for successful banana production in Palau. A handbook will be produced and a training course for farmers will be conducted to encourage banana production and ensure steady fruit supply.
Project objectives from proposal:
- a) Establish research and demonstration areas on producer farms using traditional and appropriate technologies for small-scale banana production b) Assist and guide the farmers in appropriate cultural management practices, post-harvest technology and marketing strategy to ensure successful banana production c) Set up an experiment on producer farms to determine nutrient requirements for successful banana production in Palau d) Produce a handbook on small-scale banana production e) Train farmers and extension agents on best management practices for banana production.