- Fruits: melons
- Vegetables: beans, cabbages, cucurbits, eggplant, peppers, sweet corn, tomatoes
- Crop Production: nutrient cycling, organic fertilizers
- Education and Training: technical assistance, demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, focus group, participatory research
- Farm Business Management: marketing management
- Pest Management: integrated pest management
- Soil Management: organic matter
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, partnerships, public participation, employment opportunities, sustainability measures
The farm and market survey was done to determine the supply, demand and condition of fresh produce in Palau. The survey showed that there is a big demand for fresh produce which could not be met by local production. Hence the island still continues to be heavily dependent on imported produce. Chinese cabbage and cucumber were the leading vegetables produced and sold in the market. The local vegetable supply in the market can still be increased to meet the increasing demand and reduce dependence on imported produce.
Vegetable production training was conducted to train farmers on best management practices and marketing. Contract growing is effective in ensuring higher income and assured market for the farmer.
Project objectives:div style="margin-left:1em;">
The project aims to :
1. Gather, collate, update and disseminate a database on producers’ organizations and members, local agricultural dealers and market outlets
2. Develop, analyze and disseminate a database on the local crop production and domestic market capacity
3. Pilot a contract in marketing local produce
4. Train producers and other stakeholders on best management practices, farm management and marketing