- Agronomic: corn
- Animal Products: dairy
- Crop Production: biological inoculants, forest/woodlot management, seed saving, silvopasture
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, focus group, mentoring, networking, workshop
- Farm Business Management: agricultural finance, agritourism, business planning, farmers' markets/farm stands, farm succession, financial management, labor/employment, land access, marketing management, risk management
- Natural Resources/Environment: wildlife
- Pest Management: barn owl boxes for rodent control
- Production Systems: organic agriculture, permaculture
- Soil Management: soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: community development, community services, leadership development, local and regional food systems
With input from our SARE PDP Advisory Committee, our Idaho SARE PDP funds will be utilized to support larger conferences, providing more partnership opportunities, project/program mini-grants, and travel mini-grants. In order to meet more stakeholders, our funds will target Extension Educators, NGO leaders, NRCS staff, and any ag professional in the state. The mini-grant format allows us to spread-out the SARE PDP funds to increase partnership opportunities, reach a broader base of farmers and ag professionals, and increase state-wide impact. Additional justification for our Idaho SARE PDP program is in response to the State Enhancement Grant, focused on food system community projects. With more community applications then what the grant could support, we anticipate using SARE PDP FY19 funds for applications that develop creative and strategic initiatives to foster improved food system initiatives.
Ag professionals and producers will increase knowledge and understanding of sustainable production practices and communities will create food system initiatives that benefit small farms, local food markets, and healthier people and communities. Ag professionals will increase the capacity to integrate sustainable agriculture concepts into outreach programs targeting producers and increase research projects that answer sustainable agriculture questions. As a result, the Idaho SARE PDP program will increase the sustainability of the Idaho agriculture industry, promote sustainable farm businesses, and sustainable food systems that serve Idaho communities.