- Education and Training: youth education
- Sustainable Communities: community development
Our project will be a combination of in the classroom and on the farm workshops that will highlight new trends in urban agriculture and introduce youth to successful urban farming projects and entrepreneurs.
Our goal is to help youth discover that urban farming is profitable and show them how empty city lots can quickly be transformed into local food that is good for the community but also profitable. Therefore, we will focus on soil quality improvement and crop planning techniques provided by leaders in the industry such as The Market Gardener and The Urban Farmer.
1) Increase sustainable farming skills of high school students through hands-on work sessions with local farmers at our urban farming campus.
2) Introduce youth to sustainable urban farming career opportunities through meetings with local farmers and introducing them to all the support partners in Flint.
3) Provide students with the know how to turn vacant lots into producing market gardens with nutrient rich soil.
4) Give youth an introduction to crop planning that can maximize yields and in doing so showcase how market gardens can provide a large amount of local food for the community while creating a sustainable business.