We hope to launch a virtual field trip program for K-12 classrooms which aligns to state and national curricular standards and emphasizes these standards by focusing on sustainable agriculture. Funds will be requested to both develop a professional online platform accessible by participating teachers and provide financial assistance to urban schools to enable monthly virtual farm field trips in every core curricular subject. Sustainability lessons in each subject will focus on areas supported by partnering organizations: Water Quality with the Missouri Rural Water Association, Cover Crops with the National Wildlife Organization, and perennial agriculture with University of Missouri’s Agroforestry department.
Project objectives from proposal:
In this project, we plan to:
- Introduce youth to sustainable farming practices by connecting farming to existing curriculum
- Provide exposure to youth with limited access to sustainable agriculture with cost and time effective experiences.
- Introduce youth to diverse voices and practices of sustainable agriculture.
- Provide participating teachers with curricular tools for their classroom which emphasize sustainable agriculture.
- Share project results at both agricultural and educational conferences.