- Education and Training: youth education
American farmer’s average age reported by United States Department of Agriculture is 57 years. Moreover, farming population all over the world is diminishing. Thus, it is a crucial moment for youth to realize the importance of agriculture and become involved in all aspects of the food system in a sustainable manner. Our proposed project of Sustainable AG Day will increase awareness among middle school students about sustainable agricultural practices through hands-on project activities. Future pioneers in the sustainable agricultural industry can be inspired through events like Sustainable AG Day, which in turn will help in increasing awareness in the communities.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Educate middle school students about sustainable agricultural practices through hands-on project activity at an educational campus facility.
- Increase awareness among middle school students about sustainable farming practices, soil health, beneficial insects, benefits of native pollinators, specialty crop production, aquaponics, high tunnels, green house, precision agriculture, and marketing of produce.
- Promote and excite middle school students about careers in sustainable agricultural industry in a sustainable manner.
- Disseminate materials in the form of pamphlets/brochures/power points/educational materials, and web links, to project participants to share with their families, thereby increasing awareness about sustainable agriculture practices in the communities.