The Cooperative Student Leadership Experience Pilot is an educational program for high school students in the Appalachian region. The inaugural experience will engage students at the Ohio Valley Career and Technical Center (OVCTC) in Adams County, Ohio. During an immersive two-day experience, students will visit The Ohio State University and agricultural cooperative businesses in the region where they will experience college-style learning opportunities, engage in hands-on leadership and team-building activities, discover educational and career paths in agriculture, and connect with cooperative leaders. Students will learn about the cooperative as a sustainable marketing and management model for agricultural enterprises.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Educate students on the cooperative business model as a sustainable marketing and management model for agricultural enterprises, including farms and agribusinesses.
- Introduce students to a variety of agricultural careers by engaging with college students, faculty/staff, and cooperative leaders as well as through cooperative site tours.
- Expose students to college-style learning experiences to increase their comfort level with higher education.
- Provide students with information about higher education opportunities in agriculture.
- Share the Experience as a model for youth education through a conference presentation and articles in cooperative and/or agricultural publications.