Project start delayed 1 year due to COVID-19.
- Education and Training: youth education
The Sustainable Agriculture Summer Camp will engage youth on the DCCG Walnut Grove Vocational Farm. The Walnut Grove Farm uses sustainable growing methods to raise a variety of produce. The produce is used for a CSA program, as well as for local food pantries and our mobile food truck, the Grow Mobile. The farm teaches youth with and without developmental disabilities to grow, harvest, and pack various types of produce. The Summer Camp will also visit and learn other sustainable practices by visiting other farms. The youth will also learn with a local chef how to prepare food harvested.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Increase sustainable growing skills of youth with and without developmental disabilities through hands-on experiences with lead grower at Walnut Grove Farm.
- Introduce youth to sustainable ag careers and methods through visits to other farms.
- Introduce students to the skill of selecting, purchasing, prepping, and cooking sustainably grown produce with local chefs in the DCCG Genoa Area Community Food Hub with local chefs.
- Share project results through presentation(s) and social media.