- Education and Training: demonstration, youth education
This project will introduce urban youth from elementary through high school to sustainable farming and value added production. Fourteen high school youth will participate in hands-on curriculum and field trips around sustainable organic farming and value added production. They will also gain experience by being employed on our three-acre CSA vegetable urban farm, and at our outdoor cafe that produces farm-to-table pizzas, soups, salads and baked goods. These trained high school youth will then develop and implement an introduction-to-gardening-and-cooking club for twelve elementary and ten middle school youth.
- Introduce youth to sustainable organic vegetable growing through a hands-on curriculum.
- Introduce youth to value-added production through a farm-to-table curriculum that will teach wood-fired pizza making, soup production and food preserving.
- Provide seasonal employment for urban youth in sustainable agriculture and value added production.
- Introduce elementary and middle school youth to gardening and cooking through a club led by their high school peers.
- Train high school students in how to teach gardening and cooking to younger youth.
- Expose youth of color to adult people of color who own sustainable farms or farm-to-table establishments.