- Animal Production: grazing management
- Crop Production: conservation tillage, cover crops, cropping systems, crop rotation, drainage systems, no-till, water management
- Education and Training: demonstration, networking, workshop, youth education
- Natural Resources/Environment: biodiversity
- Production Systems: agroecosystems, integrated crop and livestock systems
- Soil Management: soil analysis, soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities
It is a pivotal moment for youth to understand the importance of sustainable agriculture for ensuring sustainable food systems and a healthy environment. In collaboration with the NRCS, Blue Dart Farm, Tesdell Century Farm, and Grass-Fed Cattle Co, our proposed project will educate high school students about different sustainable agricultural practices for healthy food and a healthy environment. Youth will gain hands-on experiences on soil and water quality testing, farm visits, have discussions with the farmers, local food market, and understand how the integrated crop-livestock system, economics, and farm-to-fork establishment can work together towards the sustainability of agricultural systems.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Engage and educate youth about sustainable agricultural practices, integrated crop-livestock systems, and local food systems through lectures, discussion, and hands-on work sessions with farmers, ranchers, and NRCS staff.
- Develop skills on how to measure soil health and water quality.
- Give youth hands-on experience through farm visits and discussion with the owners of sustainable farms and farm-to-fork establishments.
- Introduce youth to sustainable agriculture career opportunities through meetings with farmers, ranchers, and NRCS staff.
- Increase awareness about sustainable agriculture among the youth and extended community through presentation(s), social media, movie nights, weblinks, a YouTube channel, and field days.