Youth Grow Indy's approach to youth development combines agriculture, business and service to create a demanding, real world and integrated experience. Youth will cultivate our urban farms, participate in workshops, attend field trips, and work to expand our communities food access. Dependent on the youth's age, the youth will be assigned various tasks around the farm, including completing the Junior Master Gardener curriculum or learning how to facilitate the curriculum. The farm will work to create a curriculum that integrates all these aspects for other farms to use.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Create a system where youth are trained on sustainable agriculture practices from farmers, Purdue Extension and other professionals and then train their peers in these practices.
- Youth will be exposed to various careers in agriculture and educational opportunities.
- To introduce urban youth to financially profitable, personally beneficial, and ecologically sound agriculture opportunities within their own neighborhood
- Share project results through social media and presentations
- Develop a year long curriculum (after school and summer) that exposes youth to all aspects of farming and its practices