Bridgman Elementary School Garden Club Leader-in-Training project (LiT) will increase the depth and quality of the fifty-member BES Garden Club program by creating a community of ten to twelve peer leaders from among the older student participants. These leaders will enhance their team-building and leadership skills while learning about local, sustainable food systems. These leadership and team-building trainings will occur after school and three Saturday gatherings and culminate with two week-long summer day camp sessions. The peer leaders will return to the BES Garden Club to share activities with the larger group in the fall.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Find and inspire peer leadership for an enthusiastic garden club.
- Grow garden club capacity through developing the next generation of leaders.
- Understand sustainable farming principles and how to implement them.
- Meet sustainable farmers, and learn about their business models, including CSA direct marketing and Farmers Markets.
- Taking leadership roles as junior counselors to share what students learned with the larger garden club
- Share the project on the Bridgman Public Schools and Come and See Farm Facebook and other social media platforms.