Final Report for ENC01-055
Planning and organization has continued on this project. The project objectives remain the same, but the methodology has been altered. The project will create an audio visual product which can be used by multiple audiences to learn bison production, history, culture, and marketing. A website will be created along with any necessary support materials for classroom instruction.
- 1. Participants will learn management techniques of bison production and gain an understanding of information resources available.
2. Participants will recognize the economic potential of bison production and resulting profitability possibilities, thereby gaining an appreciation for the impact of the industry on the state and regional economies.
3. Participants will feel comfortable discussing bison production with existing and transitioning producers.
4. Participants will recognize the deeply intertwined cultural and spiritual beliefs between Native Americans of the northern plains and bison.
5. Educators will deliver bison programs to beginning bison producers and persons interested in bison production as an enterprise.
6. Educators will work individually with producers to troubleshoot production problems.
7. Educators will discuss bison production as an enterprise as knowledgeable and as comfortable as beef, sheep, or hog production.
8. Educators will be involved with the state’s producer organizations.
9. Educators will educate others on the effects of bison grazing on the northern plains native prairie ecosystem.
Education & Outreach Initiatives
Planning and organization is currently developing the cadre of instructors needed to deliver a thorough, complete, and desirable product. The filming will be completed in March with final production, website development, and support materials to be developed concurrently. These materials will be widely marketed to tribal colleges, Extension agents, college agriculture programs, and teh state bison associations.