- Animals: bovine
- Animal Products: dairy
- Animal Production: manure management
- Crop Production: nutrient cycling, organic fertilizers
- Education and Training: extension
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, value added, whole farm planning
- Natural Resources/Environment: soil stabilization
- Production Systems: holistic management
- Soil Management: composting, organic matter, soil analysis, nutrient mineralization, soil quality/health
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, urban/rural integration
Manure management is a critical component of sustainable livestock production. Our goal was to train extension 4-H leaders and youth in manure management. We have developed a 4-H Manure Management curriculum that includes the following topics: Livestock and the Community, Protecting Human and Animal Health, Protecting Water Quality, Protecting Air Quality, Composting Animal Manure, Manure and Compost Utilization, and Economics of Manure Management. The 4-H leaders will encourage youth to enhance their awareness and improve their skills in manure management. Behavioral changes may include increased composting, prevention of manure-contaminated runoff, and manure utilization at agronomic rates.
- We developed a Manure Management curriculum for 4-H livestock participants.
We pilot tested the curriculum and made revisions to improve it.
We posted the curriculum on www.manuremanagement.info.
We distributed the curriculum to 4-H agents throughout the West.