- Education and Training: mentoring, youth education
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average age of a farmer in the United States is 58.3 and the number of beginning farmers is declining. We need to get more young people excited about farming! I am 13 years old and love growing crops, raising animals, and learning about farming!I do all of it on less than an acre of land!
This project will show young people that to create a sustainable farm you don’t need a huge budget or multiple acres of land. By growing your own crops, raising livestock, composting manure and scraps, you can have a sustainable farm that will provide food for your family, be profitable, and can help your community with fresh vegetables and meat.
I will create a YouTube channel that appeals to young people and document and share the whole process to inspire others to use the resources we have and waste nothing.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Build and develop a micro farm that is sustainable and wastes
- Document and measure the inputs and processes involved in creating and sustaining a micro farm and share with the community through field days and social
- Create a YouTube channel that appeals to young people and inspires them to start a micro farm themselves or learn about how they can use all of their resources and create less waste in their
- Produce food for my family, sell for profit, and gift to food pantries in my community and measure and share the results.