Our proposal is to collaborate farmers and their unique practices to educate, produce and provide a system that will increase the availability of whole foods and its use in food deserts. Website utilizing social media to connect communities with local farmers and markets. Farmers teaching farming techniques to create local produce and business opportunities (CSA) in food deserts. Local Chef’s will demonstrate food preparation and menu to increase use of whole foods and the importance of its nutritional benefits to curb obesity, High blood pressure, mental awareness and overall general health.
Farmers will develop farmers market and CSA programs with local communities with collaboration with Farm group to coordinate refrigerated trailer to deliver available produce from each farmer through use of computer network and social media. Along with training communities/youth with hands on experience of a local farm business and practices to show growth and business opportunities in agriculture.
Community partners will include local churches, schools, 4H, Purdue Master Gardeners and other organizations. Farming techniques include High tunnel, Naturally grown, Organic and Aquaponics practices.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Utilize Website and Social media to connect farmer and community, share information, products and locations.
- To provide locally fresh produce and increase it’s consumption in communities designated as food deserts.
- To educate communities and youth on different farming techniques that can be utilized in Urban Farms and gardens.
- To educate communities and youth of the nutritional values of eating whole food and health benefits.
- Encourage the communities and youth to participate in CSA, Diet and Health challenges.