Ground Cherries are one of our favorite fruits to grow and eat. They are very hard to harvest since they are a low growing bush. When ripe they drop to the ground. This is a hard crop to harvest for selling at markets or to turn into added value products. We want to build a system to make harvesting easier on the grower/farmer. This is a product that is rarely available at farmers market and never seen at stores. It is a very nutritious fruit that is lacking availability due to back breaking harvesting methods. The health benefits are numerous. They are low calorie, low fat and no cholesterol. They provide a good source of niacin (B3) and A & C. Vitamin A is good for eye sight but also believed to help fight cancer. Vitamin C protects against cold and flu, help lower our blood pressure and protects us against Parkinson disease. The niacin (B3) in this fruit is well known for increasing the level of high density lipoprotein; HDL in our bodies, this helps reduce the incidence of heart disease. The fruit also has an abundance of pectin which helps regulate blood sugar.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Build 6 hillside garden beds 2 per farm.
- Built with landscape fabric, second with vinyl siding
- Weigh harvest; sell fresh or added value products, record sales.
- Have 1 tour, 1 workshop, 1 festival, 1 cooking demonstration
- Write recipes, brochures and nutritional fact sheets
- Decide design that worked and produced better.
. Redesigned all 6 gardens to best outcome.
- Promote “Hillside Garden System” sheet and nutritional information at 3 conferences.
- Give 3 tours/workshops, 1 festival, 1 cooking demonstration.
. Weigh all the harvest from each garden, record all sales.