- Vegetables: spring and summer crops
- Additional Plants: herbs
- Crop Production: crop rotation
- Education and Training: participatory research
- Sustainable Communities: ethnic differences/cultural and demographic change, quality of life
The goal of this project is to involve the community in the growing of fresh vegetables and to make them affordable to families. In the 2019 Environmental racism report, the city of Saint louis has limited access to fresh and local foods. I plan to document my growing process, ask the community for help and create a small CSA for families that are interested. I plan to use the sustainable farming methods to show my community where our food comes from. Many residents rely on fast food establishments or use liquor stores to buy food. I want to be as socially responsible and as possiblke and my focus is on improving the quality of life for the community i grew up in.
To solve this problem i want to try a subsidized CSA program and a farmers market.
Project objectives from proposal:
- Survey 50 households with the community needs food security assessment.
- Establish a program to include the community in the production of vegetables.
- Establish a 10-12 week CSA that serves 5-10 families between June and October.
- Host a block "party" with workshops that educate families
- Create a tool kit for other urban farms/organizations to us that includes how-to's and resources for families