- Agronomic: corn, grass (misc. perennial), hay
- Animal Production: feed/forage
- Crop Production: cover crops, tissue analysis
- Education and Training: demonstration, farmer to farmer
- Soil Management: green manures, organic matter, soil quality/health
Barriers to transitioning to sustainable agriculture include:
- Knowing which green manure cover crop is going to best provide plow down nitrogen..
- The availabilitly of funds to perform the necessary tissue and soil samplings/tests.
We would use the grant in the folowing ways: to pay for soil and tissue testing of each 2.5 parcel of land, rental for a no-till drill to interseed rye, pay salaries for consultant and extra labor.
By using proper record keeping, and field markings; soil and tissue testing along with yield comparisons we can best achieve the goal of replacing purchased nitrogen with green manure crops.
Project objectives from proposal:
My objective was to determine how much purchased nitrogen I could replace with home grown nitrogen by using green manure cover crops.