Project Type: Farmer
Funds awarded in 2000: $3,500.00
Projected End Date: 12/31/2000
Matching Non-Federal Funds: $1,500.00
- Additional Plants: trees
- Crop Production: windbreaks
- Education and Training: demonstration, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: new enterprise development, feasibility study
- Natural Resources/Environment: hedgerows, hedges - woody
- Production Systems: permaculture, integrated crop and livestock systems
This project will research and evaluate which species make the most appropriate and profitable windbreaks for a five-acre vegetable plot. Crop shrubs and trees such as juneberry, hazelnut, paw-paw, persimmon, and others will be among the candidates, as well as Christmas trees. Various woody plants will be evaluated for their functional and commercial potential.
Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture or SARE.