- Vegetables: cucurbits
- Crop Production: contour farming
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: community-supported agriculture, marketing management
- Pest Management: flame, mulching - plastic, trap crops, traps
- Soil Management: nutrient mineralization, organic matter
- Sustainable Communities: analysis of personal/family life
Squash bugs and cucumber beetles are serious pests in cucurbits, reducing yields by vectoring diseases and causing direct feeding damage. This project will look at whether it is feasible to combine perimeter trap crops, trap boards, and propane flaming to control these pests in butternut squash. Outreach will be through farm tours, newsletter articles, and presentations.