- Animals: bees
- Animal Production: housing
- Education and Training: on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: feasibility study
- Pest Management: integrated pest management
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, sustainability measures
Beekeeping in the Northeast is becoming more and more challenging—severe winter weather, diseases, new pests, and the possibility of introducing Africanized bees from southern bee suppliers can increase bee mortality and damage hives. This project will examine the feasibility of using a modified greenhouse as an apiary house to overwinter and propagate bee colonies. Outreach will be through a web site, farm tours, publications, and presentations.