- Vegetables: sweet potatoes
- Crop Production: varieties and cultivars
- Education and Training: demonstration, farmer to farmer, on-farm/ranch research
- Farm Business Management: feasibility study
- Production Systems: organic agriculture
- Soil Management: Possible summer time cover crop for 9b region of south Texas.
- Sustainable Communities: local and regional food systems
Sweet potato has not been grown commercially in South Texas. However, a recent trial at the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Center - District 12 has seen very positive results. His research, however, was to determine the level of chemical residue and not for feasibility of commercial production. PPC Farms would like to trial a larger scale sampling of organically grown sweet potatoes to determine commercial feasibility. If successful, the sweet potato can be added to the number of organically grown products in this region, adding to crop diversity and income potential. The most promising part of this proposal is the ability of local farmers to extend the growing season by several months if this heat tolerant crop can be successfully grown.
Project objectives from proposal:
PPC Farms would like to trial a larger scale sampling of organically grown sweet potatoes to determine commercial feasibility.