- Animals: poultry
- Animal Production: feed/forage, housing, animal protection and health, free-range, feed rations, grazing - multispecies, pasture fertility, pasture renovation, grazing - rotational
- Education and Training: demonstration, extension, farmer to farmer, mentoring, networking, technical assistance
- Farm Business Management: whole farm planning, new enterprise development, marketing management, value added
- Soil Management: composting
- Sustainable Communities: new business opportunities, employment opportunities, social networks, sustainability measures, community development
For small-scale farms in New York to continue to remain a strong part of our rural economy, they must be able to diversify. Naturally grown grass based agricultural product demand is increasing but production is limited due to lack of processing facilities within the region. The availability of a mobile poultry processing unit will provide the facilities necessary for growth of meat bird production in the region. On-farm processing allows producers to retain a large percentage of the consumer food dollar. The mobile processing unit will expand opportunities for direct marketing and value added products fresh from farmer to consumer.
Project objectives from proposal:
• Host educational workshops to expand producer’s knowledge and enhance quality of end product.
• Host farm tours and processing days to allow for hands-on learn and farmer-to-farmer interaction.
• Address lack of access to affordable processing facilities thereby enhancing economic return to producers.
• Assemble a mobile processing unit to be utilized by local producers for on farm processing of poultry.
• Expand direct marketing potential and value added benefits to farmers.