Grass-Based Poultry Production
Consumer preference for quality food is constrained by a lack of local and affordable processing capacity, and the project leader will develop and demonstrate, in conjunction with two skilled farmers, a portable poultry processing lab as an education and outreach tool. The goal is to support diversification and competitiveness. Flock management and hands-on processing training will be offered, and the results will be disseminated to extension and directly to farmers.
• Host educational workshops to expand producer’s knowledge and enhance quality of end product.
• Host farm tours and processing days to allow for hands-on learn and farmer-to-farmer interaction.
• Address lack of access to affordable processing facilities thereby enhancing economic return to producers.
• Assemble a mobile processing unit to be utilized by local producers for on farm processing of poultry.
• Expand direct marketing potential and value added benefits to farmers.