- Agronomic: cotton, soybeans
- Fruits: berries (blueberries), muscadines
- Vegetables: cucurbits, greens (lettuces), peas (culinary), tomatoes
- Crop Production: cover crops, cropping systems, irrigation
- Education and Training: extension, workshop
- Soil Management: organic matter
The Arkansas 2019-2020 SARE PDP Model State Program will focus on skill development for implementing and managing high tunnel irrigation systems, advancing the understanding of cover crop applications in a variety of production systems and supporting a greater understanding of sustainable agriculture applications. The opportunities and events will be available to for Extension agents, associates and program aides, USDA staff, farmers’ market
managers, other agriculture professionals and farmer leaders. Proposed activities include a high tunnel irrigation workshop in 4 locations, travel scholarships to the Southern Region Cover Crop Conference and the SSAWG annual conference, an annual board meeting and promoting SARE through a variety of outlets, networks and events. Our plan builds on previous SARE PDP MSP plans and considers input and evaluations from past travel scholarship recipients and workshop participants. As a result of these opportunities the knowledge, interest and application of
sustainable practices for Arkansas farmers and agriculture professionals will continue to expand in Arkansas.
Project objectives from proposal:
The 2019-2020 objectives of the Arkansas SARE PDP program are:
1) To advance irrigation and fertigation construction and water management skills in high tunnel production systems by organizing four irrigation workshops around the state.
2) To increase the knowledge and application of integrating cover crops into various agricultural systems in Arkansas by attending the Southern Region Cover Crop Conference.
3} To advance the knowledge and application of sustainable agriculture practices by providing travel scholarships to the
4} To continue to build a solid Sustainable Agriculture program in Arkansas through input of the AR-SARE PDP advisory board and share information about the AR SARE program through their professional circles.