- Crop Production: conservation tillage, cover crops, crop improvement and selection, crop rotation, irrigation, pollinator habitat, pollinator health, varieties and cultivars, water management, Disease and pest identification, weed management, organic transition challenges, biochar, measuring soil health
- Education and Training: demonstration
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, financial management
- Natural Resources/Environment: carbon sequestration
- Pest Management: biofumigation, cultivation, disease vectors, integrated pest management, mulches - general, physical control, prevention, soil solarization, weed ecology
- Production Systems: transitioning to organic
- Soil Management: organic matter, soil analysis, soil quality/health
The New Mexico State Development Program will provide training in sustainable agriculture concepts geared towards production in our arid environment, information on new crops to expand markets and economic opportunity, and engage community participants towards enriching the quality of life for New Mexicans. The training will be provided through the annual NM Sustainable Agriculture Conference that will be a two day event and include hands-on field exercises for in-person participants.
Project objectives from proposal:
The objective of this project is to present training modules in key sustainable agriculture topics critical for agricultural professionals in New Mexico including:
- Measuring and building healthy soil in arid climates / field demonstrations in taking soil samples, measuring soil quality, cover crop options, and soil amendment options.
- Options for maximizing irrigation efficiency in arid land agriculture / field overview of the JFG drip irrigation system.
- Integrated pest management limiting chemical inputs / field tour of weed identification, how to diagnose diseases and disorders in the field.
- Alternative crops to expand marketing opportunities for local producers / field tour of underutilized and heat tolerant vegetables in production at the JFG.