Note to readers, attached is the complete final report for FNE01-383.
Goals of the project were:
1) To study the life cycle of the blueberry stem gall wasp (Hemadas nubilipennis)
2) Try to identify where the wasp is coming from; whether there is an alternative host (not identified at this point).
3) Ascertain whether pruning the new growth of the blueberry plant is order to remove the galls reduces production of increases growth for better production in the future.
4) Write a life cycle educational curriculum that can be used in schools and also put a price on the galls as an educational project.
5) Compare the alternatives of raising galls for education vs. raising blueberries for sale.
6) Contact other blueberry growers, tell them of the study, share information and chart locations of gall infestations if possible (compare organic vs. sprayed plantations for gall infestations)
7) Share the information through various fruit grower newsletters and fruit conferences.