- Vegetables: cucurbits, peppers, tomatoes
- Education and Training: demonstration, display, youth education
- Farm Business Management: budgets/cost and returns, marketing management
- Pest Management: chemical control, physical control, mulching - plastic, sanitation, mulching - vegetative
- Soil Management: organic matter
- Sustainable Communities: local and regional food systems, new business opportunities, analysis of personal/family life, social capital, sustainability measures
Our plan is to build a hoop house in Western South Dakota and use said hoop house to grow tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. The hoop house will be used to extend the normal growing season and offer protection in the spring from late frost. The hoop building will also protect these crops from summer storms. Produce from the hoop house will be used by our family with the excess to be marketed directly to others in the local community. Labor will be performed by family members. There will be tours offered to the public, and articles in the paper.
Project objectives from proposal:
Summer of 2012 hoop house to be completed. Extended season for tomatoes and peppers.
Summer of 2013 hoop house fully operational, tours to public, vegetables direct marketed to local public.
Summer of 2014, possible profit, continued community outreach.